.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Scarlett Johansson - Reviews, Criticisms of Anywhere I Lay My Head album

Scarlett Johansson mathiesScarlett Johansson got Reviews of Anywhere I Lay My Head album were mixed to somewhat positive. Criticisms include Scarlett Johansson's sub-par Ann Wilson-style vocal abilities and the perceived failure to add a new dimension to the well-established classics she chose to cover.

Conversely, some critics found it to be surprisingly alluring, brave in its eccentric selection, and even brilliant. Anywhere I Lay My Head album was named the '23rd best album of 2008' by NME. Of her album, what Scarlett Johansson had to say was,

"I had this golden opportunity to record and thought I would do maybe an album of standards, because I’m not a songwriter. I’m a vocalist."

Scarlett Johansson said for her recording she "wanted to have space and [she] wanted to be in a remote place where all of us could just be ourselves and not worry about anyone trying to listen in or get in on that."

Scarlett Johansson said in an interview that she started listening to Tom Waits when she was 11 or 12. Of Tom Waits, Scarlett Johansson said in an interview, "his melodies are so beautiful, his voice is so distinct and I had my own way of doing Tom Waits songs."